Here are a few of the Family Fun Halloween ideas I presented on WNBC's LX TV this week. My designer Sisi Soestrisno created the delicious brain gelatin and place cards shown here.
Napkin ghosts with googly eyes
Mini pumpkin candle
Personalized bat place cards
Brain Jell-o with pomegranate blood
Bloody finger painted doilies
Serve up Monster Sandwiches, Scary Pizza and, cut down on sugar by serving Graveyard Cupcakes made with Splenda.
Chocolate-Chocolate Graveyard Cupcakes Serves: 18
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 37 Minutes
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup boiling water
1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1 cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend
1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine cocoa and boiling water, whisking until blended. Set aside.
3. Combine flour, SPLENDA® Sugar Blend, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture with a fork or a pastry blender until crumbly. (This procedure may be done with a mixer at the lowest speed. Cover mixing bowl with a clean tea towel to prevent spattering).
4. Combine eggs, milk, cocoa mixture and vanilla in a small mixing bowl; add 1/3 of the egg mixture to flour mixture. Beat at low speed of an electric mixer until blended. Beat at medium speed for 30 seconds or until batter is smooth, stopping to scrape down sides of the bowl. Repeat procedure 2 times.
5. Spoon batter into paper lined muffin tins.
6. Bake 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pan; cool completely on a wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar or frost with Rich Chocolate Frosting.
Submitted by: Maker of SPLENDA® Sweetener Products
Nutrition Info (per serving)
Calories 180 | Calories from Fat 80 | Fat 9g (sat 5g) | Cholesterol 45mg | Sodium 160mg | Carbohydrate 21g | Fiber 1g | Sugar 11g | Protein 2g
Serving Size: 1 cupcake
Nutrition information does not include frosting.
Happy Halloween everyone!
Finally, someone has created aprons worthy of a modern 2010 woman with a retro feel. Sophisticated, Flirty, Fun and Fabulous! Check out www.SusanandVeronica.com. Their slogan, "Style Begins at Home", is so true. When I wear the Sugar Bomb apron, my personal favorite, it makes me happy to be in the kitchen. Bring on the holiday dinner parties. In fact Riley, my two-year-old, and I had a little fun mixing up some winter recipes together in our aprons. You can view below. This is the PERFECT holiday gift for any woman who has a zest for life, both in and out of the kitchen!
This weekend we were in San Francisco for my cousin's wonderful wedding. My two-year-old was a rock star! She enjoyed both flights-to and from. She adjusted to the time difference and approached all of our scheduled activities with joy. Our last day, we went out for brunch to a wonderful diner in Sausalito, Lighthouse Cafe, we ordered the Mickey Mouse pancake for Rye as a treat. I love this photo because her expression. She had no idea what to think about the pancake, was it a toy or was it food? It was just one of many great family moments we had this weekend that I wanted to share. You'll be seeing this pancake concoction made soon on www.celebrateeveryday.tv !
Many thanks to my husband who played an equal part in making this a wonderful family weekend.
Next, I'll blog about travelling tips with Riley on an airplane! I'd love to hear your special tricks to entertain your children on long trips too! Please send your comments.